Japanese Language Programs
High School and Adult Courses cater to adult learners wishing to learn Japanese as a second or third language. Designed to suit the specific need of working adults, there are 10 Week Evening Courses and Year-long Saturday Courses for High School Students and Adults.
- 10 Weeks Tuesday Evening Program
- 1-year Program
- Proficiency Exam Prep
- Private Lessons/Private Group Lessons
- Business Japanese at Your Office
- Program Fees
- Adult Programs Registration Form (PDF)
For the list of tuition fees, please visit Program Fees page. We accept cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard or Interac Debit for the tuition payments at the office. Visa or MasterCard can be processed over the phone.
For more info on classes, tuition, and registration, please contact the VJLS-JH Administration and speak with or e-mail to the Adult Course Coordinator.
Adult - Weekday Evening (10-week Program)
Our popular 10-week Evening Japanese Courses are offered once a week, usually on Tuesday nights, as 2-hour evening sessions.
Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced levels are available.
Tuesday (7:00pm – 9:00pm)
Tuition Fee: $250.00 (Early Bird Discount: $240.00 – payment one-week in advance)
Textbook: Purchase of a textbook is required and can be purchased at school or at a retailer of your choice.
Tuesday Night Sessions
October 2, 2018 – December 4, 2018 January 8, 2019 – March 12, 2019
- April 9, 2019 – June 11, 2019
- July 9, 2019 – September 10, 2019
- Further Schedule TBA – E-mail or Speak to Us for questions and registrations
Wednesday Night Sessions
- April 10, 2019 – June 12, 2019 (Beginner 10 Only)
“Beginner 10” is the introductory course to Japanese for new learners. If you have previous knowledge of Japanese, please contact us to determine the most suitable course for you.
- Beginner: B-10, B-20, and/or B-30 Courses
- Beginner 10: Textbook not required
- Beginner 20 and 30: Japanese for Busy People I – Kana Version
- Introduction to Japanese language for new learners
- Focus on speaking/listening to Japanese
- Basic Japanese grammar
- Daily expressions and basic business phrases
- Cultural notes
- Read and write Hiragana writing system (Beginner 10)
- Read and write Katakana writing system (Beginner 20)
- Brief introduction to Kanji (Beginner 30)
- Intermediate: INT-10, INT-20, INT-30 and/or INT-40 Courses*
- Textbook: Japanese for Busy People II
- More complex subject matters
- More focus on reading/writing Japanese compared to the Beginner courses
- Improve Japanese speaking/listening skills
- Start leaning Kanji
- Advanced: ADV-10, ADV-20, ADV-30, ADV-40 and/or High Advanced Courses*
* Some levels may not be offered depending on number of students.
On the First Day of Class:
Press the “VJLS Office” intercom and head to the Administration Office on the Second Floor.
If you have not made payment or submitted your registration form, please arrive at least 30 minutes before the class starts.
Saturday (1-year Program)
Our signature Year-long Saturday Courses are held from September to June of the following year on Saturdays.
For high school students who wish to learn Japanese as a second or third language, we offer High School Courses from September to June. The curriculum of this course is tailored specifically for young adults to effectively study Japanese with role-plays, games, videos, songs, anime and manga as well as “Genki” as a regular textbook which is used in a Japanese course at UBC.
- Adult A & High School A: 9:00am – 10:30am (1.5 hr)
- Course for the adult or high school students new to the Japanese language.
- Adult B & High School B: 10:40am – 12:10pm (1.5 hr)
- Adult C, Adult D & Adult E: 1:00pm – 3:00pm (2 hr)
Proficiency Exam Prep (JLPT)
2-hour prep sessions are offered from July to the end of November once a week on a weeknight from 7:00pm to 9:00pm or as a private lesson.
Private Lessons/Private Group Lessons
Lesson time, frequency, and contents are flexibly set in a discussion with your instructor before the first lesson. Starting at minimum 5 lessons of 2 hours each (10 hours in total). Please note that, instructor travel fees based on Translink zone boundaries apply to the private lessons taking place outside of the VJLS-JH building.
Business Japanese at Your Office
VJLS can also dispatch a certified Japanese instructor to your office if you and your colleagues are looking for the best way to study Japanese. Set a lesson after work, or even at lunch time!