Japanese Language Programs
High School and Adult Courses cater to adult learners wishing to learn Japanese as a second or third language. Designed to suit the specific need of working adults, there are 10 Week Weekday Evening Courses and a Year-long Saturday Courses for High School Students and Adults. *As these courses are conducted online until further notice, you are required to have a suitable device [ideally a computer] with a video camera and microphone to participate.*
- 10 Weeks Weekday Evening Program
- One Year Program
- Proficiency Exam Prep
- Private Lessons/Private Group Lessons
- Business Japanese at Your Office
- Program Fees
- Online Program Registration
For the list of tuition fees, please visit Program Fees page. We accept cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard or Interac Debit for the tuition payments at the office. Visa or MasterCard can be processed over the phone.
For more info on classes, tuition, and registration, please contact the VJLS-JH Administration and speak with or e-mail to the Adult Course Coordinator.
Adult - Weekday Evening (10-week Program)
Our popular 10-week Evening Japanese Courses are offered once a week on weekdays from 7 pm to 9 pm.
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Advanced speaking & writing courses are available.
Tuition Fee: $250.00 for 10 weeks
Textbook: Purchase of a textbook is required and can be purchased at a retailer of your choice.
You can also order the textbook from the school website when you register.
Beginner 10/20/30 Courses (Every Thursday)
<Fall > October 7 – December 16, 2021 (There is no class on November 11: Remembrance Day)
<Winter> January 13 – March 14, 2022
<Spring> April 14 – June 16, 2022
- Beginner 10: Japanese for Busy People I Kana Version Lesson1-7
- Beginner 20: Japanese for Busy People I Kana Version Lesson8-16
- Beginner 30: Japanese for Busy People I Kana Version Lesson17-25
♦Read and write Hiragana writing system (Beginner 10)
♦Read and write Katakana writing system (Beginner 20)
♦Brief introduction to Kanji (Beginner 30)
Intermediate (Every Tuesday)
<Fall> October 12 – December 14, 2021
<Winter> January 18 – March 22, 2022
<Spring> April 19 – June 21, 2022
- Intermediate 10: Japanese for Busy People II Lesson1-3
- Intermediate 20: Japanese for Busy People II Lesson4-6
- Intermediate 30: Japanese for Busy People II Lesson7-9
- Intermediate 40: Japanese for Busy People II Lesson10-12
- Intermediate 50: Japanese for Busy People II Lesson13-15
- Advanced 10: Japanese for Busy People III Lesson1-3
- Advanced 20: Japanese for Busy People III Lesson4-6
- Advanced 30: Japanese for Busy People III Lesson7-9
- Advanced 40: Japanese for Busy People III Lesson10-12
- Advanced 50: Japanese for Busy People III Lesson13 – 15
High Advanced Courses
Advanced Speaking and Writing Course (Every Wednesday) only 1 level
- Discuss one topic each time
- Learn 5 new vocabularies and 1 advanced level grammar and several expressions per lesson
- Read Japanese newspapers
- Watch Japanese news programs
- Write an essay, business email, resume in Japanese
- JLPT N2 and above level required (need to know 1000 kanji)
<Fall> October 13 – December 15, 2021
<Winter> January 19 – March 23, 2022
<Spring> April 20 – June 22, 2022
Saturday (1-year Program)
Our signature Year-long Saturday Courses are held from September to June of the following year on Saturdays. Please click here for Course Outlines.
For high school students who wish to learn Japanese as a second or third language, we offer High School Courses from September to June. The curriculum of this course is tailored specifically for young adults to effectively study Japanese with role-plays, games, videos, songs, anime and manga as well as “Genki” as a regular textbook which is used in a Japanese course at UBC.
- Adult A B C: 9:30am – 11:30am (2hr)
- High School A B C: 1:00pm – 3:00pm (2 hr)
- Course for the adult or high school students new to the Japanese language.
- Adult D,E,F,G: 1:00pm – 3:00pm (2 hr)
|Saturday High School & Adult Lesson Timetable|
|High School A-C||Adult C,D E,F,G|
Private Lessons/Private Group Lessons
For more information, please visit here.
Business Japanese at Your Office
VJLS can also dispatch a certified Japanese instructor to your office if you and your colleagues are looking for the best way to study Japanese. Set a lesson after work, or even at lunch time!