FAQ

Community Feedback Session #2 日本語訳

Local Community // ローカルコミュニティ

Q1. ローカルコミュニティとは厳密には何ですか?

A. インクルーシブ(包括的、開放的)であることを強く求める団体として、私たちはコミュニティというものを広い意味で解釈しています。そのコミュニティには、VJLS-JHと関わり、交流し、その目的を支持する、全ての人々が含まれます。私たちのコミュニティを構成するとされるステークホルダー(利害関係者)の例として:生徒、保護者、ボランティア、レンター、日本文化や日系カナダ人の歴史に興味がある方、そして施設(建物)を使用する方が含まれます。

 

Q1. What is exactly “local community”?

A. As an organization that aspires to be inclusive, we have a broad understanding of community that includes everyone who wishes to connect and interact with VJLS-JH and support our goals. Examples of stakeholders we consider to be a part of our community are: students, parents, volunteers, renters, people who are interested in Japanese culture or Japanese Canadian history, and facility users.

 

Q2. このエリアの ローカル レジデント(地域住民)は私たちのコミュニティの一部ですか?

A. VJLH-JHは、DTES(ダウンタウン イーストサイド)をとりまく、重大なスティグマ(汚名、偏見)があると理解しており、この地域住民の大多数は、低価格の住居やソーシャルハウスに住んでいるという点を明確にしたいと思います。私たちには、この地域に貢献し、この豊かな文化的多様性(ファーストネーション、黒人、中国人、日本人、他の人種、性、文化的背景などの個人個人を含む)をサポートする役割があります。私たちは、これらの他のコミュニティについてまだまだ学ぶことがあり、どのように一緒に働いて、お互いにサポートできるか知る必要があります。

* 赤字部分は包括的な表記に言い換えてあります

 

Q2. Are local residents in this area are part of our community?

A.VJLS-JH understands that there is significant stigma surrounding the DTES and would like to clarify that the majority of those in our neighbourhood are living in affordable and social housing. We have a role to play in contributing to this neighbourhood and supporting the rich cultural diversity present within it including individuals who identify as Indigenous, Black, Chinese, Japanese, and many other ethnicities, genders, and cultural backgrounds. We have much to learn about these other communities and how we can work together and support one another.

*text in red has been rephrased to be more inclusive

 

Q3. ローカルコミュニティと言っていますが、どのようにセンターは周囲のコミュニティ(ファーストネーション、黒人カナディアン、社会的弱者の住民を含む)と一緒に関わっていくのでしょうか。(センターが周囲としっかり結びついておらず、交流もない、孤立したものにならないように)

A. VJLS-JHは、私たちがこれらのコミュニティと適切に関わっていくためには、まだまだ学ぶべきことが沢山あると認識しています。私たちは、これらのコミュニティの個々人や組織からのサポートをとてもありがたく思っています。(そのサポートは、どのように私たちが彼らに敬意を表して関わっていくべきか、理解するための助けになっています)

最近この方向性で尽力したことには、 Atira Women’s Resource Societyとパートナーシップを結んだことがあります。地域のコミュニティメンバー(彼らの多くが小さなアパートメントに住んでいて、ソーシャルディスタンシングができない人々)のために、Cooling Station(クーリングステーション)-  リラックスでき、安全にソーシャルディスタンシングができる涼しい場所 – を設置しました。さらに、 WePress Community Arts Space ともパートナーシップを結び、彼らがキッチンを使用して、日々200食ものホットミールをローカルコミュニティに提供することをサポートしました。今後も、こどものくにやVJLSなどのプログラムに支障がない方法で、ローカルコミュニティの組織と連携していく機会を探求していきます。

 

Q3. When you refer to local community, how is the centre going to be engaging with the surrounding community including other cultural communities such as indigenous or Black Canadian, the residents who are vulnerable so that the centre is not an island which is not securely connected and interacting with the surrounding environment?

A. VJLS-JH acknowledges that there is much we still must learn and do to properly engage with and connect with these communities. We greatly appreciate the support of individuals and organizations from these communities that are helping us understand how we can engage with them respectfully.

Recent efforts in this direction include our partnership with Atira Women’s Resource Society to establish a cooling station to provide that has provided local community members – many of whom live in small apartments and are unable to socially distance – with a cool location to relax and socialize safely. Additionally, we have partnered with WePress Community Arts Space whose use of our kitchen has supported them in providing up to 200 hot meals each day for the local community. We will continue to explore opportunities to partner with local community organizations in ways that do not interfere with our programs like Children’s World and VJLS.

 

Q4. ローカルレジデント(地域の住民)を含む、ローカルコミュニティへの貢献の代わりに、私たちの学校やホールを開放しなければいけないのでしょうか?

A. スライドに示した通り、このプロジェクトの現在の財政的戦略は、まず第一に政府からの資金提供( government funding)と助成金( grants )を確保することにあります。助成金は特定の目的のために支給されますが、その団体に特別の方法で運営することを強制はしません。これまでに受領している助成金の大部分は、私たちが日系カナダ人の文化と歴史を保存・共有することをサポートしたい、と願う組織から支給されたものです。

* 赤字部分は包括的な表記に言い換えてあります

 

Q4. Do we have to open our school and hall in exchange for the service for the local community which includes local residents?

A. As noted in the slides, our current financial strategies for this project are primarily focused on securing government funding and grants. Grants are most issued for a specific purpose and do not force organizations to operate in a particular way. The majority of the grants VJLS-JH has received have been from organizations who wish to support us in preserving and sharing Japanese Canadian culture and history.

*text in red has been rephrased to be more inclusive

 

Q5. このプロジェクトのリーダーは誰ですか?

A. エグゼクティブディレクター(ED)がVJLS-JHのリーダーであり、VJLS-JHの理事会の管理下にあります。理事は、団体に関わりのある様々なステークホルダー(利害関係者)のグループの代表である会員(メンバー)によって選ばれ、選出されます。それゆえ、コミュニティが団体の進むべき方向や優先事項を決める、と言えます。

 

Q5. Who is the leader of the project?

A. The Executive Director is the leader of VJLS-JH and they report to the VJLS-JH Board. This Board is chosen and elected by its members who represent the different stakeholder groups the organization engages with. Therefore, the community is what provides the direction and priorities for the organization.

 

Q6. リーダーに関してですが、Project Chair にはどうして触れないのですか?

A. 初期の計画段階では、インタープレティブセンター・プロジェクトは Laura Saimoto さん(理事、ボランティア)が主導されました。彼女と他の多くの献身的なボランティアの方々は、このプロジェクトの初期の計画や進展に、過去4年間、膨大な尽力をされました。理事会体制の移行( Working Board から  Governance Board へ)に伴い、このプロジェクトは現在、エグゼクティブディレクター(ED)とそのチームの責任となりました。このプロジェクトを前に進めていくためには、VJLS-JHのスタッフとコミュニティがこのプロジェクトに貢献する機会を持つことは重要です。

 

Q6. Regarding the “leader”; why can’t you mention the Project Chair?

A. In the early planning phase, the Interpretive Centre project was led by Laura Saimoto, a Board volunteer. She and many other dedicated volunteers have put a significant amount of effort and time over the last four years into the initial planning and development of this project. With the shift at the Board level from a Working Board to a Governance Board, this work has now become the responsibility of the Executive Director and their team. In moving this project forward, it is important to VJLS-JH that staff and the community have an opportunity to contribute to the project.

 

Library // 図書館

Q7. 現在図書館にある本の、何パーセントがなくなるのですか?

A. どの本を保存し、どの本を処分するかという決定的なリストはありません。重要な本や人気のある本を確実に残し、この図書館には適さない本を他に移すため、図書委員会のボランティアと一緒に取り組みます。

 

Q7. What percentage of the current books in the library would be lost?

A: We do not have a definitive list of what books we would like to keep or remove. We will work with library committee volunteers to ensure that we hold on to important and popular books and find homes for books that are not a good fit for our library.

 

Q8. なぜ図書館の本のコレクションを削減するのですか?

A. インタープレティブセンター・プロジェクトの進展の一部として、図書館の本を種類別に、各々どのくらいの頻度で貸し出されているかの見直しが行われました。概ね 44,000冊あるうち、 1/3 は子供の本で、2/3 は大人の本でした。貸し出された本のうち 70% は子供の本で、大人の本は  30% のみでした。平均して、月に 31人の利用で、各々 5冊借りていました。

この情報を見ると、大人の本の大多数は貸し出しがなく、子供の本には高い需要があることが示されています。私たちの図書館の本をあらためて選び、若い世代や大人の会員が興味を持っている、もっと重点的で魅力的な本や読み物のコレクションを供給する機会になります。

日本の文学へアクセスできることの重要性は認識していますが、図書館にある多くの本は、読んでもらえていません。私たちは、それらの本によりよい場所を見つけ、移したいと思います。

 

Q8. Why are you downsizing (the book collection in the library)?

A: As part of the Interpretive Centre project’s development, a review was done of the different types of books in our library and how often they were taken out. Roughly 1/3 of our 44,000 books were children’s books and 2/3 were for adults. Children’s books represented 70% of the books taken out of the library and only 30% of the books taken out were books for adults. On average, only 31 people used the library each month, taking out 5 books each.

This information shows that the majority of our adult books are not being taken out and that there is a strong demand for children’s books. There is an opportunity to curate our library and provide a more focused and desirable collection of books and reading materials that are of interest to our youth and adult members.

We recognize the importance of having access to Japanese literature however many of our books have not been able to find an audience to read them. We would like to find a better place for them.   

 

4th Floor Classrooms //4階 教室

Q9 .四階を事業として貸し出すプラン( business rental plan )について、もっと説明してください。

A. 現在、4階の教室は土曜日と、時折平日の夕方に使用されているだけで、平均して、一週間を通して 80%ほどの建物の利用があります。私たちの目標は、将来的にVJLS-JHのプログラムや団体に投資できるように、クラスがない時間帯に教室を貸し出すことによって、新たに収益を生みだすことにあります。地域のパートナーやコミュニティ・グループ、また他の教育機関と提携することを優先的に考えています。出来れば、こどものくにのプログラムに実習生を送ることができる、幼児教育を提供する post-secondary institution (高校卒業後の教育機関:つまりカレッジなど)に貸し出したいと考えています。教室を改装してアップグレードすることによって、VJLSの生徒たちにとっても、大きな利益となります。初期の話し合いですが、このプランに興味を示した非営利団体や教育機関などもあります。

 

Q9. Could you explain more about the 4th Floor business rental plan?

A: Currently our 4th Floor classrooms are only used on Saturday and the occasional weekday evening and on average, our building is 80% under utilized throughout the week. Our goal is to bring in new revenue through renting out these classrooms during times when there are no classes so that we can support future investment in our programs and organization. Our priority is to connect and partner with local partners and community groups as well other educational institutions. Our preference would be to rent to a post-secondary institution that provides early child training as it could provide practicum students for our Children’s World programs. The upgrades to our classrooms this would make possible would be of significant benefit to our own students as well. Early conversations have led to some expression of interest from non-profit and educational partners.

Rentals in General // 一般的なレンタルについての質問

Q10. 誰がデイケアとプリスクールに隣接しているオフィススペースを借りたいと思うのでしょうか?

A. 私たちの事業に協調するこの地域のグループが、手ごろなオフィススペースを借りることに興味を示しています。長期戦略として、幼児教育を提供し、私たちのデイケアとプリスクールに実習生を送ることができる post-secondary institution (高校卒業後の教育機関:つまりカレッジなど)と提携できる機会を模索しています。

 

Q10. Who would want to rent the office space next to a daycare and preschool?

A: Neighborhood groups who align with the work that we do have shown interest in renting affordable office space. As a long-term strategy, we are exploring opportunities to partner with post-secondary institutions who could operate early childcare education programs and provide practicum students for our daycare and preschool programs.

 

Q11. 日本の宅配業者にスペースを貸すのはどうですか?クロネコヤマトや宅急便など

A. 現在、VJLS-JHはヤマトの宅配のピックアップ場所になっています。 VJLS-JHは、日本の宅配業者のみならず、他の日系のグループと提携することにもオープンです。

 

Q11. What about renting out the space to a Japanese postal service? Like kuroneko/takkubin?

A: Currently, VJLS-JH is a pickup spot for Yamato delivery drivers. VJLS-JH would be open to partnering with not only Japanese postal service companies but other Japanese groups.

 

Q12. 週の間に(平日に、という解釈です)VJLS-JHの建物のスペースを貸すとしても、その事業のために誰かを雇用する経費が必要になりませんか?

A. 現在、レンタルの管理をする責任者の Facility Manager(ファシリティ マネージャー)がいます。

 

Q12. Even we rent out space in our building during the week, won’t we have to spend money on hiring someone to run the business?

A: Currently, we have a Facility Manager who is responsible for managing our rentals.

 

Q13. 今これから、どのような形態のレンタルやプロジェクトからの収益が入るのですか?

A. 施設のレンタルのほとんどは、定期的または継続してレンタルしているコミュニティのグループのものです。(太鼓、剣道、弓道、格闘技など)さらに、 Atira や Vancouver Coastal Health などローカルコミュニティのグループや、個人に貸し出しをします。

 

Q13. What type of rentals or projects is VJLS-JH receiving revenue from right now?

A: The majority of our facility rentals is from community groups who rent from us on a regular and ongoing basis including: Taiko, Kendo, Kyudo, and martial arts groups. Additionally, we rent to local community groups like Atira and Vancouver Coastal Health and to individuals.

 

Japanese Hall(日系人会館:ホール)

Q.14 VJLS-JHの建物には、アスベストは含まれていますか?学校での授業が再開されたら、どのようにして改築が先生や生徒の支障にならないようにするのですか?

A. 私たちの調査によると、アスベストの使用が中止された後に建てられたため、ホールにはアスベストは含まれていないはずです。アスベストの調査は、床の専門業者や請負会社による、工程の一部です。VJLS-JHのプログラムがない期間に工事のスケジュールを組むよう、最善を尽くしますが、もし中断が不可能であれば、プログラムのために代わりの場所を探して提供します。

 

Q14. Do we have any asbestos in building? How will you prevent the renovations from disrupting students and teachers once in-person classes resume?

A: Based on our research we believe that there is no asbestos as the Hall was built after the use of asbestos was discontinued. Asbestos testing is part of the process used by our flooring company and contractors. We will do our best to schedule construction during times when there are no VJLS-JH programs operating and will find alternative spaces for these programs if disruption is not possible.

 

Q15. スライドを見ると、ジャパニーズホールの中にモニターが設置されるようです。これらのモニターは何のために設置され、どういった利点があるのですか?

A. ジャパニーズホールの中にモニターを設けるアイディアは、歴史のツアーや教育のプログラムなどでホールを訪れるビジター(見学者)に、インタラクティブな(相互作用の、実況的な)経験をしてもらうためです。このモニターは、レンタルの際には、プロジェクションのスクリーンとしても使えます。最終的なデザインの決定には、子供たちが日常的にホールで遊ぶという点を考慮します。モニターのエリアには、全ての必要な安全対策が取られる予定です。

 

Q15. The slides show that there would be monitors inside the Japanese Hall. What are these for and what benefit do they provide?

A: The idea of having monitors in the Japanese Hall is for creating interactive experiences for visitors visiting the hall for historical tours and educational programs. The monitors can also be used a projection screen during rentals. The final design will consider the fact that children will be regularly playing in the hall. All the necessary safety measurement will be established for the monitor area.

 

Planning(計画)

Q16. どうしてこの大きなコミュニティのプロジェクトに着手しなければいけないのですか?

A. インタープレティブセンターは、20年以上前に始まったプロジェクトの第3段階 & 最終段階であり、2012年の こどものくにの設立や、2019年に ナショナル・ヒストリックサイト(国定史跡指定)としての地位を得たことなどが含まれます。この最終段階は、きわめて重要なものです。なぜならこれまでに財源の不足によって延期されていましたが、ホールにはかなりの規模の修理や整備をする必要があるからです。

 

Q16. Why do we have to launch this big community project?

A: The Interpretive Centre is the third and final phase of a project that began over 20 years ago and includes the creation of Children’s World in 2012 and achieving its status as a National Historic Site in 2019. This final phase is of vital importance as the Hall requires considerable repairs and maintenance that had been deferred due to a lack of financial resources in the past.

 

Q17. スライドは後で見ることができますか?

A. はい。

 

Q17. Will the slides be available to view sometimes later?

A: Yes.

 

Q18.  改築に関して提案されているアイディアや変更案を、アクセスして見ることはできますか?

A. はい、今VJLSのウェブサイトで、これらの情報をシェアするセクションを作っています。完成しましたら、皆さんにお知らせいたします。

 

Q18. Will there be an access to view the proposed ideas and changes on the renovation?

A: Yes, we are working on developing a section of our website where we can share this information. When it is finished, we will share this with everyone.

 

Q19. Why don’t you create a “drop-box” for sending ideas?

A: This is a fantastic idea and we will work towards implementing this suggestion. When it is available, we will be sure to share how people can access this drop-box and submit their ideas.

 

Q19. 皆からのアイディアを投稿できるように、ドロップボックス(drop-box)”を作ったらどうですか?

A. それは素晴らしいアイディアです。ご提案を実行できるようにします。利用できるようになりましたら、ドロップ-ボックスへアクセスの方法や意見の投稿の仕方をお知らせいたします。

 

Q20. なぜ、まず建物の修理を先にして、それからこのプロジェクトを行うことはできないのですか?

A.建物の修理はかなり費用がかかり、個別に修理をすると、$500,000 かそれ以上かかってしまうかもしれません。私たちは建物の修理のための助成金を申請しますが、それだけだと、全ての修理にかかる費用をまかなうことはできません。さらに必要な資金を確保するために、政府や財団の助成金(文化的スペースやプログラムを保存・共有するという、より大きなビジョンのプロジェクトをサポートするために支給される助成金)を申請することが必要になります。

 

Q20. Why can’t we repair the building first and then do this project?

A: Repairs to the building will be quite costly and individual repairs could cost as much as $500,000 or more. We are applying for grants that fund building repairs, however these alone are not enough to fund all of our repair needs. To secure the additional funding needed, we will need to apply for government and foundation grants that support projects with a larger vision centred around preserving and sharing cultural spaces and programming.

 

Q21. Survey(アンケート調査)の回答をシェアすることはできますか?

A. はい、ぜひ、survey を通して得られた情報をシェアしたいと思います。

 

Q21. Is it possible to share survey responses?

A: We would be happy to share the information gathered through our survey.

 

Q22. 教育に関してのプランは何ですか?

A. 私たちは継続して、現在の教育プログラムや新しいプログラムの発展に尽力したいと思います。このプロジェクトによって得られる新たな収入源によって、これらのプログラムへの投資や、生徒や先生のための教育資料の入手を、サポートできるようになると思います。

 

Q22. What is the plan for educational programs?

A: We are committed to continuing to invest in our current educational programs as well as developing new ones. New revenue streams created by this project would support our ability to invest in these programs and create resources for our students and teachers.

 

Q23. 計画段階で修正が行われたら、 concept art (コンセプトアート:完成予想図)は修正を反映したものにアップデートされますか?

A. 新たにコンセプトアートを作成するには費用がかかりますが、全てが最終決定された暁には、おそらく最終のコンセプトアートのセットを作ることになると思います。

 

Q23. Will the concept art be updated to reflect changes that are made during planning?

A: There is a cost to producing new concept art however we would likely want to produce a final set of concept art once everything has been finalized.

 

Timeline (タイムライン)

Q24. 計画をいつ最終決定するかのタイムラインはありますか?

A. 私たちはコンサルテーション(相談、話し合い)をすることは、このプロジェストを進める上で大事な部分だと考えており、これからの二か月で、さらなるスタッフやコミュニティとの説明&相談会を開きます。2021年の早いうちに(最初の数か月の間に)このプロジェクトを最終決定できると予想していますが、このコンサルテーションのプロセスを慌てて進めたくはありません。

 

Q24. What timeline is there for finalizing a plan?

A: We believe that consultation is an important part of the process of developing this project and we are committed to holding more staff and community information and consultation sessions over the next two months. We anticipate that we will be able to finalize the project in the early months of 2021 however do not want to rush the consultation process.

 

Q25.このプロジェクトにかかる期間はどれくらいですか?

A. このプロジェクトは、様々なフェーズ(段階)を経て完成すると予想しており、最終的なタイムラインは、いつプロジェクトの資金を確保できるか、という点にかかっています。

 

Q25. What is the length of the project?

A: We anticipate that the project will be completed in multiple phases with the final timeline being dependent on when we are able to secure funding for the project.

 

Finance // ファイナンス(財政面)

Q26. COVID-19の危機によって、レンタル市場が深刻な打撃を受けている時に、どうやってレンタルからの収益を生み出すことができるのでしょうか?

A. 最初に COVID-19の危機が来たとき、私たちはほとんど(もしくは全ての)レンタルがキャンセルされるという経験をしました。しかしながら、 physical distancing (物理的距離をとること)や他のガイドラインの履行にともない、少しずつ施設のレンタルが増えてきました。 COVID-19への対策の一部として、この困難な時期に私たちを支えてくれている、新しいレンタルの機会(形態)を探りました。これらには、私たちのホールでクーリングステーションを運営している Atiraとの提携や、地域の住民にホットミールを提供する WePress との提携などがあります。これらの提携によって、レンタル市場の新たな機会を探り、柔軟にアプローチすることの必要性を認識することができました。

さらに、私たちは長期的戦略を考える必要があり、このプロジェクトは現在必要なことだけではなく、将来的なニーズもサポートする、という意図があります。将来的には、オフィスに戻ることができるようになるはずで、今その準備をすることで、将来的には戻ってこれること(つまりそれまでは施設を使わないこと)を利用して、私たちの団体やそのプログラムをサポートするための収益を得ることができます。

 

Q26. How can we generate income from rentals when COVID-19 crisis has greatly impacted the rental market?

A: We have experienced this firsthand as we saw most if not all of our rentals cancelled when COVID-19 first hit. However, slowly, facility rentals have increased with the implementation of physical distancing and other guidelines. As part of our response to COVID-19, we have explored new rental opportunities that have helped support us through this difficult time. This includes our partnerships with Atira to operate a Cooling Station in our Hall and WePress to provide hot meals to local residents. These relationships have helped us recognize that we need to adopt a flexible approach to exploring opportunities in the rental market.

Additionally, we need to think of long-term strategies and this project is intended to not only support our needs right now, but our future needs as well. At a future date we will be able to return to our offices and by preparing now, we can position ourselves to take advantage of this eventual return to work and bring in the revenue we need to support our organization and its programs.

 

Q27. 建物の改築のための収入はどのように予想されますか?建物の改築そのものによって賄えることになるのですか、それとも現在の学校の収益から改築の費用をサポートする必要があるのですか?

A. 私たちは、建物を有効活用することにより、年間  $400,000もの追加の収入が得られる可能性を見込んでいます。現在、週単位で、利用できるスペースの20%のみを利用しています。この収益により、日本語学校やチャイルドケアなど継続中のプログラムや、新しい教育プログラムやコミュニティのイベント・計画、そして私たちの団体としての能力への投資をサポートすることもできるでしょう。Q2(Q4の間違いと思われます)とQ20で述べたとおり、このプロジェクトは主として助成金によって資金を得られます。

 

Q27. What is the forecast for revenues for the new updates to the building? Will the building updates end up paying for themselves, or are the school’s existing revenues required to support the updates?

A: We anticipate that there is a potential for $400,000 in additional revenues per year that could be made possible through more efficient usage of our building. Currently, we are only using 20% of our available space on a weekly basis. These revenues would support investments in our ongoing programs like language classes and childcare, new educational programs and community events and programming, and our organizational capacity. As mentioned in Q2 and Q20, this project will be primarily funded through grants.

 

Q28. 改築に関して、各々の構成部分の優先事項を設定したリストや、完成までの費用の見積もりはありますか?どのようにして、コミュニティのメンバーは、プロジェクトの財政的リスクについて認識することができますか?

A. はい、このプロジェクトの進展の一部として、プロジェクト全体の様々な構成部分のリストを作成し、こういった査定(評価)に経験のある general contractor (総合建設請負業者)のサポートによって、初期費用は明らかにされました。この査定(評価)をもとに、いくら  fundrise(資金調達)する必要があるか詳細な計画を立て、どこからその資金を調達できると予期できるか確認しました。

このプロジェクトとその予算は、日々エグゼクティブディレクター(ED)によって管理されていて、EDはプロの会計事務所からの専門家のアドバイスやサポートを受けることができます。それらは VJLS-JHの理事や、財政的な専門知識のあるコミュニティのメンバーからなる、 the Finance Committee  (財政委員会)によって監督されています。財政委員会に参加するコミュニティのメンバーは、その役割に適するかどうか、正式なインタビューのプロセスを通して参加する必要があります。

 

Q28. Is there a list that identifies the priority of different components of the renovation and an estimated cost of completing them? How can society members understand the financial risks involved?

A: Yes, as part of the project’s development we have developed a list of the various components of the whole project and preliminary costs have been determined through the support of a general contractor with experience in performing these evaluations. We have used this evaluation to map out how much money we need to fundraise and identified where we expect to raise it from.

The project and its budget are managed on a day-to-day basis by the Executive Director who has access to professional advice and support from a professional accounting firm. They are overseen by the Finance Committee which is composed of VJLS-JH Board members and society members who have financial expertise. Society members who join the Finance Committee must go through a formal interview process to ensure they are an appropriate fit for the role.

 

Q29. 学校の財政的な情報にアクセスすることはできますか?

A. はい、会員は最新の(the most recent)AGM(年次総会)にて開示された、審査済みの Financial Statements(財政証明書)を要求することができます。過去の財政的な情報は、 Canada Revenue Agency のウェブサイトで閲覧できます。
  https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/hacc/srch/pub/dsplyRprtngPrd?q.srchNm=Vancouver+Japanese+Language+School+and+Japanese+Hall&q.stts=0007&selectedCharityBn=119281996RR0001&dsrdPg=1

 

Q29. Do we have any access to financial information for school?

A: Yes, members can request the reviewed Financial Statements that have been presented at the most recent Annual General Meeting. Access to historical financial information can be viewed on the Canada Revenue Agency’s website here.

 

Re-zoning(リゾーニング:地域区分の変更)

Q30. 最近申請された Re-zoning(リゾーニング:地域区分の変更)の申請は、何を含んでいますか?

A. インタープレティブセンター・プロジェクトの一環として、ホールの中に Mezzanine (中二階)を設置することを提案しています。このため700 sq ft の床面積が追加されることになります。この設置により、収納のスペース、 インタラクティブな教育のビデオ(Q15参照)の場所、そしてスペシャルイベントのスペースを設けることができるでしょう。

 

Q30. What does the recent re-zoning application cover?

A: As part of the Interpretive Centre project we are proposing adding a Mezzanine to the Hall which would add 700 sq ft of floor space. This would create storage space, a location for interactive learning videos, and specialized event space.

 

Q31. 最近バンクーバー市議会での公聴会が開催され、 VJLS-JHがリゾーニングについて市議会議員と話をしました。 VJLS-JH のコミュニティのメンバーは、この公聴会やリゾーニングについて、知らされていましたか?

A. 市議会議員と話す機会があるという情報は、その前に行った説明会の中で参加者にお伝えしており、メンバー(会員)は公聴会を傍聴したり、質問を提出したりすることに招待されていました。また、建物の入り口に、情報を掲示しました。リゾーニングの申請については、去年(2019年)の7月に着手されたことで、(2020年3月に)エグゼクティブディレクターが就任してプロジェクトの管理を引き継いだ一年近く前のことです。

 

Q31. There was a recent session of Vancouver City Council where VJLS-JH spoke to councillors about the re-zoning. Were VJLS-JH community members informed of this and the re-zoning?

A: Information on the speaking opportunity with City Council had been shared with participants in the previous Information session and members were invited to watch and submit questions. A sign was also posted on the front door of the building. Regarding the submission of a re-zoning application, this was initiated last July, nearly a year before the Executive Director was hired and took over the management of the project.

 

Security // セキュリティ

Q32. 学校が開いている時間帯に、警備員を雇いますか?

A. Atiraと提携して、2020年の夏にクーリングステーションを運営した経験から、ソーシャルワーク(社会福祉)の分野で訓練されたスタッフを配置することが、みなさんの安全を確保するための、最良の方法だと分かりました。こういった訓練を受けているスタッフは、ローカルコミュニティに精通しており、社会的弱者のグループからの個々人のサポートの仕方を理解しています。こういった人材を私たちのロビーに配置することには、有益になると思います。

 

Q32. Will there be a security officer hired to work during school open times?

A: Our experience operating a Cooling Station over the summer of 2020, in partnership with Atira, has shown that having a staff person trained in social work is the most effective way to create safety for everyone. Staff with these skills would be familiar with the local community and understand how to support individuals from vulnerable groups and having someone like this in our lobby would be beneficial.

 

Q33. どうやって、この地域に関する皆の懸念事項に取り組むのですか?

A. 私たちだけの力では、この地域を変えることはできないので、ダウンタウンイーストサイドの地域のNPO(非営利団体)やバンクーバー市と協力関係を築いています。 私たちは、コミュニティに参加し、問題解決への貢献をすることで、この地域の課題に立ち向かうという重要な役割を果たすことができます。

 

Q33. How are you going to be address individuals’ concerns about the neighbourhood?

A: We cannot change the neighbourhood on our own which is why we are building partnerships with local non-profit organizations in the DTES as well as the City of Vancouver. We can play an important role in addressing challenges in our neighbourhood by participating in the community and contributing to solutions.

 

Staff Concerns // スタッフ(職員)の関心事項

Q34. 先生たちは新しい建物で安全・快適に働くことができますか?

A. VJLS-JHのスタッフは、私たち団体の核となる存在で、彼らなしには活動することができません。私たちは彼らの安全を深く考慮しており、最近 Occupational Health & Safety Committee(職業の健康・安全委員会)を発足しました。この委員会には、先生、生徒、コミュニティメンバーにとって、VJLS-JHの建物が確実に安全なものであるようにするという、特定の目的があります。このプロジェクトによって、建物が危険で、快適ではないものにはならないでしょう。

 

Q34. Are the teachers able to work in the new building safely and comfortably?

A: The VJLS-JH staff is the core of our organization and we can’t do what do without them. We take their safety into full consideration and have recently created an Occupational Health & Safety Committee which has the specific goal of ensuring our building is safe for teachers, students, and community members. This project will not make our building unsafe or uncomfortable for them.

 

Q35. 先生方がこのプロジェクト委員会に入ることは可能ですか?

A. 現在、プロジェクト委員会の会員条件を見直しており、誰が参加でき、委員にはどんな責任があるかなどを述べた Terms of Reference (委任事項・権限)を草案しています。先生方がこのプロジェクトのメンバーへ参加を申請すること自体を、妨げられることはないでしょう。

 

Q35. Is it possible for teachers to join the committee for this project?

A: We are currently reviewing the membership of the project’s committee and are drafting a Terms of Reference that will outline who can join the committee and what their responsibilities are. Teachers would not be prevented from applying or being a member of the project.

 

Q36. 先生方はこの改築をどうお考えですか? 何かフィードバックは受け取っていますか? 先生方は一般の説明会での発言を認められていますか?

A. 二週間ごとにスタッフへの説明会を開いており、そこでは全てのスタッフと、プロジェクトについて話し合います。私たちは彼らのフィードバックに耳を傾け、彼らがどのような変更を希望しているのかについて議論しました。これは継続中の議論であり、彼らのフィードバックをこの計画に取り入れることに尽力します。スタッフは、一般のセッションで自由に発言できます。

 

Q36. What do the teachers think about the renovation? Have you received any feedback from them? Are teachers allowed to speak in public information sessions?

A: We have been holding staff information sessions every two weeks where we discuss the project with all of our staff. We have been listening to their feedback and discussed what changes staff would like to see. This is an ongoing discussion and we are committed to including their feedback into this plan. Our staff can speak freely in any public session.

 

Program // プログラム

Q37.日本語のクラスを拡大して、日中にも設けることは検討済みですか?

A.はい、エグゼクティブ・ディレクターとして、いつか団体が毎日日本語クラスや文化のプログラムを開催しているのを見ることを希望しています。スライドで示した通り、このプロジェクトによって得られる新たな収入源の結果として、私たちのプログラムにもっとお金を投資したいと思います。そして、私たちの目的である Achieving Financial Sustainability (財政的に持続可能であることの達成)を得たいと思います。このことにより、スタッフへもっとベネフィット(福利厚生)を供給したり、新しいプログラムを作ったり、既存のプログラムのクオリティを向上したりすることができるようになるでしょう。

 

Q37. Have you thought about expanding Japanese classes during daytime?

A: Yes, it is the Executive Director’s hope to one day see our organization running Japanese language classes and cultural programs every day. As mentioned in our slides, we would like to invest more money into our programs as a result of the new revenue streams made possible by this project and achieving our goal of Achieving Financial Sustainability. This would allow us to provide more benefits to our staff, create new programs, and improve the quality of our existing programs.

 

Q38. 改築は、日本語学校の運営に影響がありますか? このプロジェクトに対して、学校の先生方やスタッフからの理解、受け入れ、そして支持はありますか?

A. Q14とQ22に述べた通り、このプロジェクトは、VJLS-JHのプログラムの実施には最小限の影響で済む方法で計画される予定です。ホールの改築の大部分は、土曜の日本語クラスがない夏休みの間に着手される予定です。このプロジェクトは、こどものくにのプログラムの運営には、ほとんど、もしくは全く影響がないはずです。もしプログラムの中断が起こる場合は、プログラム・ディレクターやスタッフは、適切な用心や調整ができるように、十分な告知を受けるでしょう。さらに、Q35とQ36で述べたとおり、私たちは積極的にこのプロジェクトへのスタッフの理解・受け入れ・支持を求めており、(説明会とこのプロジェクトへの直接的な参加の?※missing words があるようです)

 

Q38. How will the renovation affect the operation of the language school? Is there an understanding, acceptance, and support for the project from the schoolteachers and staff?

A: As mentioned in Q14 and Q22, this project will be planned in a way that ensures there is minimal impact on the delivery of VJLS-JH’s programs. The majority of the proposed changes in the Hall would be undertaken during the summertime where there are no Saturday language classes. This project should little to no impact on the operation of Children’s World programs. Should there be any disruption, the Program Director and staff would be given sufficient notification to make the appropriate preparations and adjustments. Additionally, as mentioned in Q35 and Q36, we are actively seeking staff understanding, acceptance and support of the project information sessions and their direct involvement in the project.

 

Q39. あなたの日本語教育に対する考えはどのようなもので、3つの目的の中に含まれますか?

A. Q37で述べたとおり、私たちはVJLS-JHの教育プログラムに力を注ぐことに専心し、このプロジェクトによって、さらに教育プログラムを発展できると信じています。この一般説明会では、既存のプログラムについてではなく 、建物自体の変更に焦点を当てるようにしましたが、プログラム自体も改築によって利益を得るでしょう。もし皆さんから十分な関心があれば、プログラム自体に焦点を当てた、別のコミュニティ説明会を設けることもできます。

 

Q39. What are your thoughts on “Japanese Education” and is it included in your three goals?

A: As mentioned in Q37, we are committed to investing in our education programs and believe this project will allow us to develop more education programs. For this community information session, we have chosen to focus on changes to the building itself and not our existing programs although they will benefit from these changes. If there is sufficient interest, we can arrange another community information session with a strong focus on programs.